Today the Hon Jan Tinetti announced new requirements to help lift achievement of maths and literacy.
- From 2025, schools must use the new mathematics and statistics, and English learning areas from Te Mātaiaho, the refreshed NZ curriculum, which were released in May this year.
- From 2026, all schools will use the Common Practice Model when teaching literacy, communication and maths.
- From 2025, Māori Medium settings (rumaki and bi-lingual units) must use the new Te Reo Māori and Pāngarau areas of the redesigned Te Marautanga o Aotearoa.
- From the start of 2026, Māori Medium settings (rumaki and bi-lingual units) will be required to use the Ako Framework (the equivalent of the Common Practice Model).
- Separate discussions will be held with kaupapa Māori education organisations on how to enhance te reo matatini and pāngarau teaching and learning in their settings.